Dual-boot help WAS: filmscanners: yet *another* low cost way to avoid the future

At 06:44 01-09-01 +1200, Ian Boag wrote:
> >>  Seriously, if you have only one system
> >> which can never go down you had better be running Linux (;-))...
> >
> >Er, not necessarily. I am trying to teach myself rudimentary Linux, with
> >little success. A significant delay occurred when I forgot the root
> >password I had assigned and was unable to get into the machine for
> >3months. Then one day I remembered it. <G>
>
>With the same aim in mind I installed Linux & a dual boot. Worked fine
>until Nortons offered to fix my polluted boot sector and blew away the
>loader ....

I know this is OT but I'm gonna try and sneak it by anyway;-)

Restore your ability to boot Linux with this freeware utility. I used it to
make RedHat Linux 7.1 an entry in my Windows 2000 boot menu. It doesn't
change your boot sector or disturb Windows in the slightest. It does,
however, require you to install a distribution with LILO as the bootloader
and *not* to put LILO on the Master Boot Record (MBR). That'll trigger
Norton every time and could also make Windows unbootable. Try it; it's easy.
http://www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm

Now if I could only get Linux to run my LS4000 I'd be a happy camper --
especially if I don't have to crawl through many pages of incomprehensible
linux-babble to edit config files. I want the scanner to just come up and
run like it does on non-Linux platforms. Anyone know how? Please share.

Cary Enoch Reinstein aka Enoch's Vision, Inc., Peach County, Georgia
http://www.enochsvision.com/
"'Think of this as a partnership,' Gates said. 'Like the ones and zeroes of
the binary code itself, we must all work together to make the promise of
the computer revolution a reality. As the world's richest, most powerful
software company, Microsoft is number one. And you, the millions of
consumers who use our products, are the zeroes.'" --The Onion

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.