Re: filmscanners: OT: LCD monitors for photo editing

>At 23:44 29-08-01 -0700, Henning Wulff wrote:
>>In general LCD's are quite useless for photoediting as they
>>color/contrast shift when you move your >head. This also means that
>>even if you don't move your head relative to the LCD, all the
>>corners will >display the same image range with different values.
>>CRT's are still the way to go.
>
>That doesn't jibe with my experience. Have you looked at the latest
>crop of 18.1-inch LCD monitors? I've been working with a Philips
>Brilliance 180P monitor for the past two months and would never go
>back to a CRT. First of all, the color and contrast do *not* shift
>during normal head movements even if I move to the very edges of the
>screen. Sharpness and contrast are equal to any equivalent-sized CRT
>that I have ever seen. It took a little effort to adjust the color
>neutrality because the factory-supplied profile was faulty but now
>the color is outstanding. Also, there is a lot to be said for less
>eyestrain as compared to working on a CRT. Try one; you might like
>it. Check out the latest Philips and Sony offerings in particular.
>
>Why do you suppose Apple is moving away from CRT's? It's not because
>they want to risk ditching all their graphics industry customers.
>I'm on a Windows 2000 PC, btw.
>

>Cary Enoch Reinstein aka Enoch's Vision, Inc., Peach County, Georgia
>http://www.enochsvision.com/, http://www.bahaivision.com/ -- "Behind
>all these manifestations is the one radiance, which shines through
>all things. The function of art is to reveal this radiance through
>the created object." ~Joseph Campbell

While I can hardly claim to have seen all LCD models, all that I have
seen have poorer color and contrast consistency than the better (and
a lot cheaper) CRT's. Than certainly includes all of Apple's and
Philip's that I have seen.

In the end, if you are happy with what you use; fine. Just be sure to
try stuff out.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design