Re: filmscanners: Re: filmscanners: Back to Basics

Rob Geraghty wrote

> If I recall the original situation correctly it was an LS2000.  Are there
> problems with film flatness using the film strip holder (as opposed to the
> motorised film strip feeder)?  The only time I've had focussing issues is
> with the film strip feeder at the ends of seriously curled film strips.
>  Leaving the film in storage sheets in a binder for a while after processing
> seems to help flatten the film - although the plastic does retain some memory
> of the curl.

I have done a few tests with my LS-30 using Julian Robinson's method -- see
http://members.austarmetro.com.au/~julian/ls2000-focus.htm

My results:

*    Mounted slide in Slide Mount Adapter -- OK, all sharply focussed

*    Strip of film in Film Strip Holder -- OK, all sharply focussed

*    Strip of film in (motorised) Strip Film Adapter -- parts of film outside
the zone of sharp focus

My scanner performed much better than Julian Robinson's, which appeared to have
a serious mis-alignment.

I encourage anyone who uses a Nikon film scanner to do the Robinson test, and
report back. There has already been some discussion of film flatness problems
with medium format film in the LS-8000. What about the LS-4000? The capacity for
unattended scanning of whole rolls of film is a fine idea, but not useful if the
scans are out of focus over part of the image.

Since doing these tests I have avoided using the Strip Film Adapter for anything
but quick-and-dirty scans.

Peter Marquis-Kyle

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.