Re: filmscanners: Comparing scanners

<<offlist>>

G'day rob.

Being in your neck of the woods (well, at least the same hemisphere!), I
would be happy to share a slide or negative or two, and produce some raw
scans on my Acer 2720S.  Let me know if you get any other responses, and
I'll give you a postal address.

I think it would be an interesting exercise - I'd also be happy to help dig
up a challenging image or two, although I reckon any of us could do that
pretty easily!..  I don't have many Velvias, but do have a fair bit of K25
and 64.  (I also don't do all that much portraiture, so my collection
wouldn't be a great choice if you want to compare other stuff, eg fleshtones.)

Regards, Mark T.

At 03:30 PM 28/08/01 +1000, you wrote:
>Just a thought - I don't know the guts of how Photoshop produces histograms,
>so this may not work as well as I think it could... Would it be a useful
>comparison of scanners to scan the same slide with Vuescan to raw files
>and compare the histograms?  It seemed to me that this might give some sort
>of a meaningful comparison of where the data might be getting clipped.
>I'm not sure how it could work with negs, but a comparison of slides would
>make more sense anyway with the greater range of
>density.  Comments?  Obviously
>this is only good for scanners supported by Vuescan and not very scientific.
>
>I've scanned a few slides on the SS4000 and I'll take them home to try some
>comparisons with the output from the LS30.  One thing is already clear -
>the brightness settings in Vuescan aren't consistent across all scanners.
>  Where a brightness of 1.5 is too bright on the LS30, the data from the
>Polaroid seemed to need pushing to a brightness setting of 2.0 or even more.
>  This was not something I expected.
>
>Rob
>

>Rob Geraghty harper@wordweb.com
>http://wordweb.com