Re: filmscanners: Best filmscanner, period!!! (strange title!)

Anthony Atkielski wrote:

<....For some years now, computers have had more than enough horsepower for
just about anything anyone might care to have them do....>

That is absolutely not the case for the type of computer that you and most
of us had or most probably could have afforded "some years" ago...!

I'm finally running "state of the art" desktop computers - 1.4 ghz Athlons
and dual 1 Ghz Intel processors with 780 MB and 1 Gb fast memory, relatively
fast buses and 2 x 75GB raid harddisks - and they are still not fast enough!

I still have to wait for files of 120 mb to open, change the colorspace,
rotate, crop, lasso, curves and save etc. This wait may not be long today:
4-8 secs every time but it all adds up to say 40-60 secs per picture. "Some
years ago" , top level desktop systems would have taken at least 5 minutes
to perform the same tasks (if you could afford them).

Now, please multiply that 4 minutes difference by 25.000 slides = 100.000
minutes wait = 1.600 hours
= 200 work days.

I don't know how YOU value YOUR time, but please: give me an up-to-date
system any day!

Of course, for the average computer user, you are right. But this happens to
be a filmscanners forum...

So please forget the mission critical production panic spiel. Just get a
fast, new computer for around1500 US  and get on with your scanning. By the
way, the polaroid SS4000 is very good  - and cheap too. Why don't you do a
couple of test scans to compare it with Nikon.  There have been complaints,
though, that the Nikons have a shallow focus depth problem - so beware! :-)

Preben

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.