filmscanners: Review on Canon FS4000/film is dead

From
> http://www.normankoren.com/Tutorials/Canoscan4000.html
"The CanoScan FS4000US will be my last 35mm scanner. It's more than adequate
to capture the detail in my images going back to the 1960's. Digital cameras
are improving so fast that I doubt I'll be using 35mm after 2002. Current
digital cameras approach 35mm in quality. There's plenty of debate on
whether they've surpassed 35mm already, but they certainly will by 2002. Any
digital camera you buy today will be obsolete in a year or two, but you have
to weigh the cost of the camera against the savings in film and processing.
The scale is tipping ever more strongly towards digital. Film sales will
soon start dropping like a rock; prices will go up and less popular films
will disappear. It's over for film."

I have a question to people writing to this list: do all of you use still
film only because digital cameras as not good enough yet? Or are here people
who see clear benefits of silver halide technology for themselves?

For me it seems that on the net you can find only extreme opinions (like the
one cited above). You can either find statements like "film is already dead"
made by self-styled prophets or "digital will never be good enough" said by
"die-hard analogues" who didn't even try digital photography yet.
I don't believe either of them.
I'd really like to get in contact with people who are experienced in both
mediums, are not biased against any of them, but above all who admire good
photography and can distinguish between boring and fascinating, between
average and sublime.

Please, don't get me wrong, I'm continously upgrading my knowledge in
digital photography and I see clear benefits of it but in certain areas. I
don't want to see it capturing the whole of photography. I worry that
photography will share the fate of other noble technologies sacrificed in
the name of cost/speed/decreasing standards.
Do you know how an Alfa Romeo V6 engine differs from a GM Ecotec engine? If
yes, you also know what I mean.

Sorry for this somewhat off-topic text. I hope you won't ban me from this
list.

Regards

Tomasz Zakrzewski

fotografia - tomasz zakrzewski   www.zakrzewski.art.pl