RE: filmscanners: Re: Do I need Digital ICE? & Scanner selection Advice

I myself own an Acer Scanwit 2720S and am not pleased with it. I believe my
scanner is more faulty than normal, but when I sent it in for repairs they
said there wasn't a problem and when I received it back the problem was
still there. I've discussed my problem on this list before and as it turns
out there are other scanwit 2720S owners who also have this problem, but to
a lesser extent. We call it yellow stain or yellow banding. That is how it
shows up when you scan negatives.

I've just scanned a few shots and you can see for yourselves why I have
problems with this scanner. These shots are not particularly beautiful in
themselves, but they show that I cannot make color scans of light objects on
high contrast negative film, because the result is far worse than the print
from e.g. a one-hour shop.

Here.
Planes & Clouds
http://community.webshots.com/photo/19905771/19906323WBQXKxvJcy
(for an example look at the yellow-brownish cast to the clouds at the left
and right sides. The problems with slides are less severe, example album
Burger's Zoo (Fuji Provia 100F pushed 2 stops), the only scan that is really
really messed up in my very amateur opinion is 'Bamboo' (you can get to the
album from the above page). It is a dark underexposed slide, but the slide
itself still looks rather nice, but not the scan. )

So I suggest you refrain from buying a 2720S, if not for the chance of a
buggy scanner, then for the spotting that you have to do with negatives:
scans are sharp, especially the spots, so you will have work to do.

Jerry

BTW. The 2740S may have a completely different type of CCD with much better
quality. My suggestion however is to test whatever scanner you buy with a
high-contrast negative film with a shot of large highlights and with a high
contrast slide with a big shadow-part and see if your particular specimen
does not have any flaws you can't live with.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.