Re: filmscanners: Re: Do I need Digital ICE? & Scanner selectionAdvice

> I forgot to add, that one of the biggest reason's that I am
> leaning towards the Acers is that most of the reviews I've read on
> the Canon 2710 and the Minolta Scan Dual II have not been good.
> While most of the reviews for the Acers have been good.
>
> Darrell
> --

Hi Darrel

I have the Canon FS2710 and am very pleased with it. If you'd like to see a
few snaps I scanned sometime back go here:

http://homepage.eircom.ner/~ricwalsh/

The FS2710 is not so impressive without Vuescan, options like multi-scan
greatly improve shadow detail. The images on the web-pages have no
multi-scanning and were scanned using an earlier version of Vuescan, 6.1?.
Since version 7 Vuescan has improved for slides so I stopped using Canoscan
and use Vuescan exclusively.

I regard the FS2710 to be a better scanner than the Nikon LS30 which I was
fortunate enough to be able to test side by side at time of purchase.
IMO most scanners are better at either slide film or negative and not both,
you should decide which is your priority before you buy. I shoot slide
predominately and found the Nikon LS30 to be crap for slides but way better
than the Canon on negs, so much so I nearly bought a s/h unit just for negs.

My next buy will be a MF scanner, I have the camera but am only put off
using it for lack of a MF scanner.

As for ICE...yes spotting is a chore, I scan my slides straight from the
developers after blowing off any dust with a canister, this pretty much
leaves little or no spotting to be done. And in order to speed up this chore
I bought a Wacom Tablet and more RAM, this reduces the time it takes at
least.

Good luck with your quest.

--
Regards