Re: filmscanners: film vs. digital cameras - wedding/commercial photography

I guess it is a matter of semantics when faced with the imaging sensor(s)
you describe. In the strictest sense, the aforementioned sensors would be 4
pixels, since a pixel is literally a picture element, indeed. But in
practical terms, they form 1 RGB pixel, which is all that matters for color
imaging.

The 4 sensors acting as individual pixels is only useful in a one-channel
color space, monochrome. They can of course act as any color, with the
proper filter in front of either the sensor or lens.

One way to (sorry for the term) visualize this is to think of the original
Technicolor process, which is created from three black and white negatives
exposed through a single lens, split by (I assume) a prism. Technicolor is a
monochrome film process yielding color results (and the best color fidelity,
when done right). The fact that three negatives capture the image does not
increase the resolution, which is fixed by the lens/film combination. The
resolution is that of one of the single color channels, in this case film
(actually, it must be lower, but that is a few other cases).

Pat