Re: filmscanners: Best digital archive medium for scans?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Duncan" <mgduncan@esper.com>

> >I want to scan maybe ten slides a month.  My main purpose will be to
> >"publish" the digitized photographs as attachments to e-mails or simply
file
> >them one place or another in cyberspace.
> >

> >http://www.bhphotovideo.com
> > Home < Digital Photography < Scanners < Scanners & Accessories <
Scanners <
> >Film Scanners
> >Canon Canoscan FS-2710 2720 dpi 35mm/APS Film Scanner
>
> Too noisy for Kodachrome.  Try Polaroid SS4000 ($700 w rebate) or Nikon IV
> ($900, USB).  You may want to buy more RAM.
>
> Mike Duncan

I have scanned several Kodachrome slides with a 2710 and the results were
actually not bad. There is some noise in the dark parts with any film, but
this can be improved by using Vuescan's multi scan facility.

For web use and prints up to A4 and even A3 at 1440dpi, the 2710 is
definately good enough and excellent value for money. Above that, the
Polaroid SS4000 seems to be the one to go for in the 4000dpi range and if
you want Auto image cleaning (ICE/FARE) the Canon 4000 is the best value.
The Nikons are unfortunately totally overpriced IMO. It seems crazy to pay
$900 for a 2800dpi (Nikon IV) scanner when there are 4000dpi units available
for the same or less that compares favourably with Nikon's expensive LS4000.

Regards
Thys

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.