filmscanners: Turquoise was Re: filmscanners: Why not sRGB ?

My apologies to the other list members who haven't seen the image in question.
 It was sent as a 54K jpeg so I didn't send it to the list.

Anthony wrote:
>Hmm ... looks like you cranked the blue and red saturation pretty heavily.
>Also, levels look adjusted for blue, but not for red or green.

It's a while since I made the scan, so I don't remember how many or what
manipulations I made other than to say it look a lot of mucking around to
get the vaguely turquoise (cyan really) colour in the water.  The saturation
is mostly due to Provia 100F, a bright sunny day, and a polariser.

> My guess is that you lost or misplaced your green channel too
> greatly at some point and thereby eliminated the chance of
> getting a faithful turquoise color.

The "raw" (actually "neutral" according to vuescan") scan was much worse.
 The ocean looked pretty much uniform in colour.

> Which part is supposed to be turquoise?
> The dress, or the ocean behind it?

Er.  The shallow part of the ocean.  The dress is white - with blue shadows
since it was a sunny day (as most tend to be here ;).

> Any chance of seeing a reduced copy of the original
> scan, with nothing other than downsampling for convenience?

I would rather put it off until I have the chance to try scanning the same
slide on the SS4000.  Without anything to compare the image to, it's impossible
for anyone to know (other than me) what the original slide looks like, let
alone what the colour of the ocean actually was that day.  Until I can get
an image online somewhere, it's not very useful continuing the discussion
on the list since nobody else can see what I'm talking about!

I guess I was wondering if anyone else has had similar problems with similar
colours.

Rob

Rob Geraghty harper@wordweb.com
http://wordweb.com