Re: filmscanners: SilverFast Upgrade Disaster

At 06:24 PM 8/8/01 -0400, you wrote:

SilverFast has a problem with doing an IT8 calibration, at least on a PC.  It
gives an error message that says you haven't aligned the frame correctly
around the IT8 target.  Ian Lyons says it works OK on his Mac.  SilverFast is
working on the problem and asked me to send them a screen grab just before
the error message pops up.

The trick is to leave about a 1 mm extra border inside the Silverfast recommended
framing.   I was incredibly frustrated with this until I accidentally figured it out.  I
have and use Silverfast on my Nikon LS4000 and Epson 1680 Professional Firewire
scanner where it comes bundled.  I have only calibrated the Epson for reflective scanning
as I use the Nikon for slides.  However a transparency target is provided for scanning
4x5 transparencies and that may some day be useful.

Best regards,
Steve

Steve Norvich
Quentin Corners #114