Re: filmscanners: Shadows and Scanwit 2720s

On Tue, 07 Aug 2001 12:37:58 +0700  GeoffreyJakarta (images@indosat.net.id)
wrote:

> I'm doing some trani scans which are underexposed [how dare I!] and
> having a hell
> of a time digging out the detail in the shadows. This detail is also
> somewhat brown.
>
> I have tried doing multiple passes -8 infact at 2700 dpi.
> I also have a tramline problem in these deep shadow areas. Are the
> censors damaged?

No, not damaged. These sorts of horribleness are revealed when you try and
use a scanner beyond its capabilities. You are exposing behaviour which
would normally be hidden 'below' the black point, and then amplifying the
defects by boosting contrast. Basically, if a sensible black point doesn't
allow a decent scan you are stuffed.

Regards

Tony Sleep
http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner info