Re: filmscanners: IT8 Calibration was Re: filmscanners: I love/hate SilverFast

This should probably go off list so please direct replies to me personally.
I am quite interested in how others are affected.

> I am very intrigued by the number of people on this list how have color
> deficiency.  Does anyone know how common this is in the general
> population (or even just the male population)?

About 8% of men and 0.5% of women (they usually carry the gene and give it
to the men). I don't know if it's normal but I seem to suffer more from low
colour resolution - the bigger the object the more likely I am to see the
colour correctly. I don't know if this is normal, but it renders the dot
tests impossible. I do however seem to have extremely good night vision. Is
this normal for colour blind people ? This sort of suggests to me that I
have many more B&W receptors than normal (and hence fewer colour) as these
work better in low light situations.

The effects can seem a bit bizarre. As a child I was taken Strawberry
picking. I could only see unripe strawberries unless the ripe one's were
actually pointed out to me. Raspberries proved to be no problem. So bright
red against green was a dead loss, but the darker raspberries and even green
strawberries were no problem against the green leaves.

You can have a quick test on the net - although I wouldn't like to say how
your set-up may affect  the accuracy of the test.

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/8833/coloreye.html

For the record and for those afflicted, you can compare the extent of your
affliction to me.

Top left OK
Top right can't see a thing even when I know what number I am looking for.
Mid left can't see a thing even when I know what number I am looking for.
Mid Right I am prepared to believe the answer (although it looks more like
another number to me) but couldn't see a thing until I knew the answer.
Bottom left can't see a thing even when I know what number I am looking for.
Bottom Right looks like a different number to me.

Steve

> I also find it interesting that a very color demanding field
> (Photography with interest in digital scanning) would attract so many
> people who have to deal with color perception disabilities.
>
> Maybe if enough people with this condition demand more objective color
> control we'll all benefit from easier to use color management.
>
> Art
>
> Steve Greenbank wrote:
> >
> > > Rob, I want IT-8 calibration because I'm color blind and I want to
reduce
> > the
> > > number of variables I have to deal with.  In theory, any of my
calibrated
> > > scanners can be used to scan the same slide and the final files will
all
> > be
> > > nearly identical.
> >
> > I'm similarly afflicted and I went through a similar process, but in the
end

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.