Re: filmscanners: Vuescan and Overexposed Negs

Arthur, thank you for the excellent advice,  but I'm not quite sure how to
make different exposures using Vuescan.  Adjusting the Gamma didn't seem to
affect the blown out white; changing the white point to 0 didn't seem to
make a difference either.  Am I missing something?  How do I bring down the
exposure so that I can bring out the detail in the whites?

STEPHEN    JENNINGS
    P h o t o g r a p h e r
       Cambridge, MA
sgjennin@ix.netcom.com

> I assume this image is on negative film, because if it is on slide film,
> the detail is gone forever if it isn't visible on the film.
>
> If it is on neg, your detail is probably there, but the overexposure of
> the whites makes for a very dense area on the neg.  You need to expose
> for those areas while scanning, which will probably cause the middle and
> dark areas to get too dark.  You might wish to make two scans at
> different "exposures" and then using a photo manipulation program, like
> PS, layer them.  One of the easiest ways to fix this is to place the
> "blown out" dress image (which has good exposure otherwise) on top, and
> the one with the good dress detail underneath.  Then, set your erase
> tool to 15-25% using a soft edged brush and slowly remove the upper
> layer in the area of the dress allowing the detail version to come
> through.  This way you can control each area of the dress, and bring up
> the detail just to the point it looks best to you.  If the dress from
> the lower level doesn't look oddly exposed in itself, you can use the
> erase tool at nearly 100%, and just erase the blown version that is on
> top, for a quicker result.
>
> Art

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.