Re: filmscanners: Archiving Photos (a little off-topic)

Maris wrote (in answer to Tomasz' question):

>| Do I need the same for b&w prints?
>
>I would suggest scanning and saving them in color, especially since you
>mention below that the old paper is not showing a color cast.  You may well
>find that one or more of the channels have better detail, contrast,
>luminosity etc. than others.

That's an interesting thought, Maris, and one I hadn't considered a lot
until you mentioned it. One would *hope* that a BW scan would incorporate
*all* the values of an old print, but that might not actually be the case,
in old sepia prints. I've frequently scanned soft or thin BW negs as color
(with Acer's many film-type choices, you can pick them for contrast) and
then discarded the color information. It works well, especially for the way
I used to shoot Tri-X.

I do, however, think that BWs should be stored as BW files. You can always
add a tone of your choice later, if you want to, and the contrast is better
in straight BW. But that may just be a vestige of my Commercial Art
"upbringing," and I could be soaking wet, here! ;-)

Best regards--LRA