RE: filmscanners: Vuescan question

I am one of those who has not found the problems that others report with
Nikonscan; I have found it to do what it should do, quickly and with great
control.  I bought Vuescan after reading how much better it was, but have
not found it to be either better or worse, just different and much more
difficult to use - for me (who has not spent much time on learning how to
cope with its non-G UI).  The histogram in Nikonscan I find invaluable: I
always feel as though I am flying blind with Vuescan even though the
results are usually not bad.

Last time I tried Vuescan's IR dust removal I found it didn't work as well
for me as ICE, but this may have improved since then, or at least I should
say it definitely has improved going by what I have read here.

The bottom line for me is that I have both, and I actually use
Nikonscan.  There are plenty of others for whom the opposite will apply.  I
will say that for most people there is nothing wrong with Nikonscan, and it
is one of the most powerful OEM scanning softwares around.  I suggest the
obvious - try Nikonscan (which you have) and try Vuescan
(try-before-you-buy version) and compare.  Then tell us what you discover.

Julian

PS if it is the learning curve that is worrying you about Nikonscan, I
think it is not too bad, and you will learn much about your scanner
features and capabilities that would be useful anyway, even if you end up
using Vuescan.  The Vuescan interface means that you can remain unaware of
scanner features for a long time!

Julian Robinson
in usually sunny, smog free Canberra, Australia

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.