RE: filmscanners: Digital Copyright

>It's a little hard to tell from your post, but I'm assuming that you are
>not arguing in opposition to registering the copyright on one's images.

Correct.

>If your image is registered, even the "casual image buyer" will have much
>to fear from you, because he will have to pay your court costs. You will,
>in all likelihood, end up owning his business.

Even if logically true, this is not practically so.  The "casual image
buyer" often has little or no knowledge or understanding of copyright laws
or the consequences of violating them so they do not typically serve as an
effective deterrent in the case of that class of buyers.  Those in that
class of buyers who do regularly infringe on copyrights or are prone to will
continue to do so playing the laws of averages which favors their not
getting caught or having legal action being pursued against them.  Having
said that, one also has to recognize that the monetary fines and legal
penalties associated with the criminal aspects of copyright infringement
depend on the decisions of the judge who often takes into consideration such
things as the deliberateness of the infringement and any potential "fair
use" aspects that might apply when deciding on penalties and sanctions.
Moreover, such penalties and sanctions (i.e., criminal sanctions and costs
as opposed to civil) go to the state and not the copyright owner who in
criminal cases is not the plaintiff.  The copyright owner is the plaintiff
only in the civil aspects of the case where court costs, legal costs, and
damages are granted to the copyright owner under the provisions of the
copyright law.  But here again, it is up to the judges discretion as to how
much within the range permitted by the law will be allowed.  The judge does
not have to grant the full amounts stated in the copyright law's statutory
statement of penalties and damages but only has to grant a reasonable amount
given the circumstances within those statutory limits.

>I don't believe the incorporation status matters. Incorporation cannot
>shield one from illegal acts.

Since most copyright law violations and infringements are civil matters and
not criminal violations, incorporation does furnish a great deal of
protection to the individuals within the corporate structure.  If the
violation was a criminal one rather than a civil violation under the law,
you might be right.  However, incorporation also typically affords
protections in that commercial violators often are corporations owned by
corporations who are subsidiaries of corporations that are owned by layers
of holding companies.  This is one of the reasons why mail order scams never
result in the arrest, trial, conviction, and sentencing of individual
perpetrators who are the main beneficiaries; it is only the small fish that
get caught and punished.

>If an individual uses your copyrighted images on their website (and you
>find out), you can notify the ISP of the infringement. Since they don't
>want to hand their business over to you, they will generally cooperate, or
>so I'm told by those who have done it.

Once again the effectiveness of this action depends on the ISP.  Many ISPs
claim and argue that they are mere conduits for information and data
transfer and not policemen.  They will take action only after the courts
have deemed the infringement legitimately an infringement in violation of
the law (i.e., after the legal action has be resolved by the courts).  If
the general effectiveness of the suggested approach were high, I would
suggest that we would see similar effectiveness in the impact of complaints
on ISPs controlling spam and pornography that flows over their portals
and/or via hackers utilizing their networks and addresses.  The fact is that
any effort on their part at preventing copyright infringement tends to work
with only the honest violators who have done so without malice of deliberate
intent and not on those who knowingly and deliberately use images in
violation of copyrights.

It is for these reasons that I say you might be overly optimistic.

It's a little hard to tell from your post, but I'm assuming that you are
not arguing in opposition to registering the copyright on one's images.

I have never experienced infringement myself. I am getting my information
second hand from the EP and StockPhoto lists.

I should have mentioned that the people who have told me this have all
experienced the infringement at the hands of (otherwise) legitimate
publishers who would normally have licensed the image, but probably didn't
due to some administrative foulup.

If your image is registered, even the "casual image buyer" will have much
to fear from you, because he will have to pay your court costs. You will,
in all likelihood, end up owning his business. Of course, if the defendant
is judgement-proof because of no funds, it doesn't matter what you do--you
won't collect.

I don't believe the incorporation status matters. Incorporation cannot
shield one from illegal acts.

If an individual uses your copyrighted images on their website (and you
find out), you can notify the ISP of the infringement. Since they don't
want to hand their business over to you, they will generally cooperate, or
so I'm told by those who have done it.

Finally, the point I was trying to make is that, in order to avail oneself
of the fullest protection of the law, your image copyrights need to be
registered with the Copyright Office. Otherwise, your rights of recovery
are limited by law to actual damages, which are not usually worth pursuing.

Stan

Photography by Stan McQueen: http://www.smcqueen.com

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.