From: owner-filmscanners@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:owner-filmscanners@halftone.co.uk]On Behalf Of Lynn Allen
Sent: Saturday, July 21, 2001 8:35 AM
To: filmscanners@halftone.co.uk
Subject: Re: filmscanners: OT: Copyright on Photo's

Frank wrote:

>I purchased a set of 4 Landscape Prints at an auction a couple days ago. It
>is my intention to sell them on eBay, however, they are un-signed so I am
>not to optimistic.
>
>My question is: "Can I scan them, and display a small picture of them on
>eBay for advertising without violating the copyright of the original
>photographer?"

Here we go again on the slippery slopes of "Intellectual Property!" I would
say yes, because you own them and you're trying to sell them. Art, Laurie,
Bill Gates and Michael Getty would probably say "No!" As long as you're not
selling multiple prints you've done yourself (which would be a definite
no-no), it would be impractical for the photographer or his/her heirs to sue
you. You might even learn their identity. :-)

Best regards--LRA