filmscanners: Nikon Service - in Australia

I have reported on this list about the poor focus of my LS2000.  I sent it
back for warranty repair and today after 4 weeks I got it back - - -
without trying to encourage Art any more in his campaign, what I got back
is enough to drive me into a rage.

First, the thing arrived with one of the transport screws lying loose in
the bottom of the box.

Second, it came with the dreaded "Checked and tested. All found to be
within manufacturer's specifications."

I rang them and complained bitterly, but the level of their insight and
dedication of the "first line" help desk is not sufficient to match the
nature of the problem.  (IN Australia Nikon is sold and serviced by Maxwell
Photo Optics who don't really have anything beyond first-line
support.  This guy was not up to dealing with this kind of problem).  All
he could say was "your method of measuring how well it is in focus is
useless, and we measured it and it is within specs".  When I asked how the
measured it, the gentleman said that they have a "special slide" which they
put in and look on the screen to see if the test pattern is focused all
over.  Very sophisticated.  Trouble is it doesn't use the holder that I was
having the most problems with, and it doesn't give you any objective evidence.

IN short form, I got NO satisfaction from this man at all, and just reached
a dead end.  He actually said "if you send it back, we'll just send it back
to you the same".  He also said "I don't know the details of how it was
checked, and you can't talk to the service people directly, you have to
talk to me and I am only a support person" as well as "It is within
manufacturer's specifications" - at least 10 times.  What
specification?  Measured quantitatively how?

I finally spoke to the head of service this morning who appears to be much
more comprehending and has offered to send me a replacement unit while I
send mine back.  He also agreed that my method of measuring focus using the
manual focus feature on Nikonscan was valid and should have produced better
results.  He couldn't explain why my docket saying "no fault found" had
been written out on the 6th, and when I rang on the 17th it was still on
the shelf waiting transport. "Just ready to go".

I think like most of these things, Nikon's service in Australia is partly
an institutional thing which may be good or bad, but more related to the
quality of the individuals you actually end up dealing with.  Of course it
is the  organisation's responsibility to employ people who have the right
attitude and enough grey matter to sort out real but difficult problems
without resorting to "NFF" every time.

BTW, the manager also let on that he had heard of jaggies, although not
under that name.  When I told him about Nikon USA stating that the problem
had been passed to Nikon Japan, he said that more or less the same thing
had happened here and that they had never heard anything back.

Julian

Julian Robinson
in usually sunny, smog free Canberra, Australia

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.