RE: filmscanners: Link to Nikon 8000 banding example...

On Thu, 19 Jul 2001, Austin Franklin wrote:

> > Just a thought. Do you get stop/start motion of the film carrier
> > because of
> > spooling, during the actual scanning process?
>
> I understand your point, but...the scanner stops for every line anyway, it
> has to...it's just a matter of how long it stops, so providing there isn't
> some some race condition that this long stopping exacerbates, the stopping
> "should", mechanically, not make any difference.

Austin, this "ratcheting" motion is common on
many scanners, both film and flatbed.  It's a
function of how much RAM is available within
the scanner firmware.  If the firmware handles
it properly it's not a problem.  If there's
a small buffer, the scan mechanism is gated
by the next processing block to receive the
scan data.

My SprintScan would do it from time to time,
and I must admit I was rather concerned the
first time I saw it behave that way.

rafe b.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.