filmscanners: RE: filmscanners: RE: filmscanners: Grain, Noise, et al

Norman Unsworth wrote:
> I am really happy with Supra 400. I've gotten some outstanding
> landscapes as well as 'people' shots and don't have significant
> complaints about grain with it as much as other 400 speed films.

That's good to know.  I just have to be patient for when I can afford a
pack of 5 rolls.

> I can scan and print on my little inkjet and get fine b&w if I
> change the mode to greyscale or the printer output to black.

True, but that's ink on paper not colour photographic paper.

> It seems silly for a lab to print b&w negatives in any manor
> which does not provide b&w, but rather, pink & white tones.
> They can't really think I wanted that, can they?

They may not have a choice.  I'd guess that most minilabs would only have
colour paper, and it's just not possible to get true greyscale on colour
paper.

> Is it really more expensive to print on b&w paper than it is
> on color paper? Seems illogical.

Perfectly logical - it's called economies of scale.  There's very little
demand for prints on B&W C41 paper.  There's massive demand for colour C41
prints.  It takes time and effort to change papers.  All that adds up to
higher costs to print B&W.

Rob

Rob Geraghty harper@wordweb.com
http://wordweb.com