Re: filmscanners: Which Buggy Software?

On Sat, 14 Jul 2001 13:12:21 -0400  rafeb (rafeb@channel1.com) wrote:

> Maybe you're onto something here, Tony.  I use
> a Matrox G200 AGP board.  But strangely enough,
> its installation was rather messy (driver-wise)
> and it still crashes during one of the more
> obscure Wintune tests (though not on any apps
> that I normally run.)

I have the same card on a machine here (W98SE), and it's the most stable
of the lot. Funnily enough it took me several driver reinstalls before it
was happy. v 4.11.01.2250 was the one that worked.

Also, watch out for DirectX screwups, another major source of system
grief. It has to be reinstalled after graphics drivers updates, else it's
like a blancmange on a stick. DX8.0 seems rather less prone to
self-immolation than earlier versions. DXDIAG.EXE can be helpful (in the
DirectX folder)

The other major issue for system stability is MS COM components.
Registry entries for these get routinely messed up on every machine here,
but are easily fixed again via Norton Utilities Windoctor|Repair All. This
is the first place I look now if I get any untoward behaviour.

Regards

Tony Sleep
http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner
info & comparisons