From: owner-filmscanners@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:owner-filmscanners@halftone.co.uk]On Behalf Of Darrell Wilks
Sent: Friday, July 13, 2001 1:26 PM
To: filmscanners@halftone.co.uk
Subject: RE: filmscanners: Which Buggy Software?

 I have read that NikonTech has told someone they are the only one having
problems. This may be just a rumor, or not, so here is my short story.
 NikonScan 3.1 crashes regularly when saving a scan. Usually I can get at
least one scan saved, but then trying to
save a second scan sometimes works, occasionally not, a third scan fails to
save with greater frequency than a failed second scan save, and a fourth
scan save is hit or miss.
 Anyway, Windows 2000 reports the error (NikonScan has reported errors and
will be shut down OK?) clicking okay shuts it down. Restarting NikonScan 3.1
allows me to scan and save a couple more, then crash and restart the app
again and so on. My record is 4 saved scans in a row.
 Liveable but not very good. Startup time for NikonScan 3.1 is horrible.
 I have P3 800, 1GB ram, U160 HDs, AGP video. All other hardware and
software is stable. All drivers and BIOS is up to date. Windows 2000 is SP2.
 Nikon tech support walked me through scan, with crash and all. Oddly, the
tech had me install a "generic printer
driver" and try to scan again. Weird. Of course that didn't work, so we
tried deleting and reinstalling this and
that, you know, the old "maybe the dll files corrupt" thing.
 Finally, got transferred to second level support, but gave up waiting on
hold (gotta work sometimes). Will try again
later.
NikonScan 3.1 is easy to use though slightly quirky (scan window is always
on top and must be minimized to see the save window). VueScan has a
multitude of settings I'll have to play with more before forming an opinion
here.
Overall, I really like the application. I have used ScanWizard ProTX
(ArtixScan 4000T), and tried the VueScan demo.

Hope this info encourages those "orphans" out there that think they may be
the only ones with this problem.

Darrell