Re: filmscanners: SS120 & Nikon 8000 ... how do they work?

On Fri, 13 Jul 2001, Lynn Allen wrote:

> Art wrote:
>
> >Many moons ago, I was working on the concept of a system to allow a 35mm
> >frame to be projected on a flatbed scanner surface.  This could, in
> >theory, allow for even a 600 dpi scanner to record a 35mm frame at about
> >4800 x 7200 ppi, optically.
>
> Not unsurprisingly, I thought of the same thing when I saw how "Mickey
> Mouse" the HP 6300C's film adapter was; project an 11x8 image onto an
> inverted ground-Lucite panel layered onto the scanner glass..

It's an idea that's come up many times, in
many different forums.  I've never seen it
taken to any sort of completion.

It's utterly ironic, of course, that a $29
flatbed can supply far more raw bits than
a $400 or $800 film scanner.

Another possible avenue for tinkerers...
Use the basic optical bench of a cheap
but worthy old film scanner (eg. Polaroid
SprintScan LE) and replace the stepper
motor, CCD, and related electronics.
There'd be a lot of hardware and software
to re-design, but you might get by with
most of the existing mechanics and optics.

rafe b.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.