Re: filmscanners: SS120 & Nikon 8000 ... how do they work?

Jeffrey Goggin wrote:

> >Other than the Minolta Multi, the other MF scanners seem to work
> >similarly to a flatbed, in the sense that regardless of the size of the
> >original, the resolution of the CCD remains fixed (in this case at 4000
> >dpi.)
>
> This may be true of the current Nikon and Polaroid models but many of the
> other film scanners that handle MF film (Leafscan, etc.) use the different
> lenses for different formats ... right?

I was referring to current models.

> >If the Nikon uses a 10,000 pixel element CCD, they could have projected
> >the 35mm frame width onto it, and claimed an over 10,000 dpi resolution
> >scan.  Of course, that would have resulted in almost as large a file as
> >a MF at 4000 dpi.  Further, it is possible they cannot really produce a
> >10,000 dpi stepper motor system that is reliable.  That's getting
> >awfully demanding in a consumer product.
>
> Why would they need a different stepper motor?  The "over 10,000 dpi"
> resolution you mention would be the _effective_ resolution (I'll bet the
> marketing folks would have a field day with this!) but the actual
> resolution of the scanner would remain 4,000ppi.

As you know, there are constant discussions about unequal resolutions in
each direction, and the significance of this.  If they were to scan in
one direction at 10,000 ppi and the other dimension at 4000 ppi, there
would be howls of protest calling that anything but 4000 ppi.

Art

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.