Re: filmscanners: PS 6.0 v. PS 5.0 LE v. Jasc Paintshop Pro 7.02

On Mon, 09 Jul 2001 07:24:11 -0500  S. Matthew Prastein
(smprastein@earthlink.net) wrote:

>  Should I shell out the $500+ bucks, plus the
> learning time, to get a grip on 6.0?

TBH, there's a sickeningly expensive near-inevitability about this. PS
remains the principal DI prog, though most people - me included - never
use more than a fraction of what it can do. It's not essential, but if you
can afford it and intend to stick with this activity, you will at least
find a lot of support expressed here in terms of PS use.

> Will 5.0 LE serve me better, at
> least in the learning phase and possibly for all time?

Fine for now, upgrade if/when you feel the limitations are a problem. The
one huge benefit of PS full, for scannerites, is the ability to work with
16bit/channel scans.

> And what about
> the Jasc program?

I've not seen latest versions, but I was starting to hate the UI as it
changed from being a quick, cheap and dirty image editor to something with
bigger aspirations. However it has a lot of fans.

I always preferred the similarly priced Micrografx Picture Publisher,
which really does run PS close in most areas, and I very much prefer the
UI to PS for many operations. It also  has a much lighter footprint than
PS, requiring much less RAM and CPU and being much faster on modest
machines. I still use it now, especially for webby stuff. However,
tragically, it doesn't speak 16bits. Or at least v8 doesn't, v9 may.

Picture Window Pro is, from what I hear, another serious contender. I know
of a PS user who uses PWP instead, whenever he can.

Regards

Tony Sleep
http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner
info & comparisons