Re: filmscanners: 8000ED versus SS120 (was Nikon 8000 ED)

Hi Lawrence,

Thank you for doing a very interesting comparison..

However, I'm afraid you just "offered the devil your little finger" , so:
here goes your whole hand! :-)

I have a few suggestions - if you have time! (Julian also suggested some of
this)

Both scanners should do only a single pass (to compare shadow detail). From
your posted examples it seems that SS120 has the better shadow details even
with the 8000 multisampling at 16X.

Also, it would be interesting to see enlargements of at least one of the
corners.

It also seems that the 8000 has the highest contrast. If this is due to the
scanner architecture (led light) or the software, would it not be
illuminating to see an example of bringing the SS120's  contrast level up in
order to compare the "sharpness" - perhaps in the bottle label?

By the way: I presume that the the SS120 scan in Silverfast was done in 16
bit as well?

Lastly, I don't know if Vuescan supports both scanners, but it would be nice
if the scans could be done with the same software. However, the tests that
you have done are fascinating stuff even witout this.

A big thank you!

Preben