Re: filmscanners: On dust

Frank Nichols wrote:

> I am using PEC-12 with PEC PADS on "dirty" negs as a first step.
>
> I found an anti-static brush (StaticMaster) which is plutonium charged. It
> seems to work well on my neg strips. But, I was wondering if anyone had any
> comments on if it is a gimmick (any soft brush would work) I assume the
> plutonium qty is low enough not to think about, it is there just to create a
> slight charge on the bristles.

That better be polonium-210 not plutonium!  Plutonium is so dangerous
one atom is enough to cause cancer.  It is used in nuclear power plants.
  Polonium-210 (probably isn't pure, anyway) still isn't "safe" (no
ionizing radiation is) it is probably similar in danger to Americium
which is used in smoke detectors, but you don't keep a smoke detector
next to your hand hold it regularly... and the problem of discarding it
after you are done with it is a consideration as well...

> I also use a Leland CO2 "The CO2 Power Source" instead of canned air - since
> I read so many warning about the propellents in canned air. I am looking for
> a good/cheap/small air compressor with oil and water traps. But in the
> meantime the CO2 seems to work well and using the brush first I find I need
> very little CO2 to finish.
>
> Using these I have found that I have almost completely eliminated dust in my
> scans. And I found that many cases that I thought previously were scratches
> were in fact dirt - the PEC-12 wiping does wonders.
>
> (Oh yeah, I moved a small - 16x12x6 - HEPA air filter onto my desk next to
> my scanwit!)

Clean compressed air is probably a good method of dust removal.  You are
right to be concerned about moisture and oil residue, but this can be
controlled for.

Art

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.