Re: filmscanners: Minolta DiMAGE Scan & Dimage 7 camera

Walter Bushell wrote:

> _____> AFAIk the cameras only support 8 bit output. Adjusting brightness
> color on 24 bit images does result in artifacts, one can up the bit depth
> for those resolutions to avoid the math problems, but still it's a
> restricted dmax. Then if we are having problems with CCDs in scanners just
> think of the problems in cameras.

This might be less of a problem than it appears.  Imagine you had a film
which either had extremely wide exposure latitude, or could change ISO
at will.  In effect, that is what the MOS/CCD sensors in a digital
camera do.  They can move sensitivity levels within a wide range (much
more than a couple of f-stops film can handle, with current film
technology... Agfa and Kodak are working on new chemical techniques that
could change this drastically)).  Digital sensors could even be set to
decrease the exposure range, so that they compressed anything outside of
their range.  Film can't do this, if you get over it's exposure range it
simple blows out to Dmin and vice versa.

Photographic papers are even worse for this exposure latitude, which is
why modern labs use digital enhancement techniques to improve prints
from film.

If the exposure itself is "bang on center" within the sensitivity range
of the sensors, then 8 bit/channel is probably al that is needed, as it
is 16 million colors and hues, making for pretty much all the human eye
can see.  The problem occurs when we squeeze this stuff up against one
side or the other of the sensitivity range and then need to stretch it
back out to fill that histogram space.  The we want all those extra
levels to make smoother transitions to fix the loss of the color
"resolution".

> How long until the selection of lenses for digital cameras matches that of
> SLRs?   For this to happen, digital will have to get to good enough that
> the format can be frozen long enough for multiple lens types to be
> developed.

I'm not sure this is a problem.  Nikon and others have camera bodies
which have digital backs which otherwise accept 35mm SLR mounted lenses.

A 28-200 zoom, but at what quality level? Remember a lens used
> for digital work _must_ filter out all detail at less than half the
> sampling frequency to avoid aliasing.

Any filtering of this nature would not be done at the lens level.  A
lens is an optical device, and the best thing it can do is accurately
translate everything it sees to the sensitive/recording layer.  This is
what all lenses strive toward.  If any type of resolution lowering were
to be required it would be done via electronic means.  Keep in mind film
also has a "sampling rate", although it is somewhat more randomized and
right now, still finer than most electronic sensors made available for
mere mortals.

Art

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.