From: owner-filmscanners@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:owner-filmscanners@halftone.co.uk]On Behalf Of Dave King
Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2001 12:05 PM
To: filmscanners@halftone.co.uk
Subject: Re: filmscanners: Digital Shortcomings

Kodachrome has better dark storage than E-6.  E-6 is better for use in
slide projectors, but any valuable transparency should be duped for
"slide" projection anyway.

Brian Eno (the musician) points out the most relevant issue regarding
the digital vs analogue archiving issue.  He said something to the
effect that "analogue degrades gracefully, digital catastrophically".
The idea of re-doing a digital archive every so many years isn't
practical in my view.  What happens to the archive when you get hit by
that bus with your name on it?  So many valuable artifacts have lain
in obscurity for years before "discovery".  Current digital will
likely not survive that, and the purpose of a true archive is survival
beyond the life of the creator.  Even badly faded analogue artifacts
can be restored, if need be.  Once digital is dead, it's dead, Fred.

Dave