filmscanners: Does CMM work on Win2000?

Hi
      I know this questioon has been asked in this list for N'number of
times, but I am forced to ask again.

I scanned the negative in VS, using "ProPhoto" as colour space. Scanned
output had profile embedded in it.
I edited this image in Adobe PS6.0 and saved on to disk. I set this image as
wallpaper of my desktop and also opened this image in AcdSee viewer.
Now comes the problem, the image shown in AcdSee & wallpaper does NOT match
with the image shown in Adobe PS6.0.

To be specific the image shown as wall paper  and image shown in AcdSee
viewer are slightly less saturated compared to the one shown in Adobe PS6.0.
Image shown as wall paper  and image shown in AcdSee viewer match well.

My PS6.0 setting:
 Working space: Adobe1998 (This does not matter though)
 Using embedded profile while editing the image.

Operating System:
 Win2000 Sp2.

I do not know why the 3 images are NOT matching. If the operating system is
following CMM then 3 images should match.

I have calibrated my monitor using "AdobeGamma", but I think this should not
matter if the image is being viewed on same desktop.

Please let me  know why all the 3 images are NOT matching.

I did another experiment, In Adobe PS6.0, I converted image to sRGB and
saved. I set this image as wallpaper of my desktop and opened this image in
AcdSee viewer. Now all the 3 images matched perfectly.

Does this mean, Win2000 assumes that image is in sRGB?

Please throw some light on this issue, feel free to ask for more information
about the scenario.

Thanks
Ramesh

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.