Re: filmscanners: Digital vs Conventional Chemical Darkroom

Well this has another 'permanence problem'.  I still have in my 'archive' of
storage media
2 9track 6250 tapes (from less than 20 yrs ago and now effectively
unreadable)
6 8" Floppy disks (now unreadable)
3 IoMega removable disks (from 10 years ago - now unreadable)
lots of 3.5" floppies, which are rapidly becoming unreadable on many
machines

OTOH, I have a cabinet full of negatives from 30+ years ago - and negatives
from my grandmother's time, as well as positives, that survived Displaced
Person's Camps and all sorts of horrible situations. How many CDRoms do you
think would have made it through Forced Labor camps of WWII?

ALL of which are 'readable' (ie printable)

Data CD-ROMs, exposed to sunlight, have a life expectancy of about 15years
before bit-rot becomes uncorrectable (not AS big a deal in image and music
CDs where it appears as noise)

As for Digital having the same quality as film - maybe if you are purely
looking at 35mm - but I would disagree here as well.  Note also, that as
wonderful as an Epson 1280 is, It can't do 16x20 or larger.  I can with my
chemical enlarger.  Pretty trivially.

That said, I'm not an anti-digital luddite.  But unless you are going to
spring for a Canon D-30 or a Nikon D-1, even point-and-shoot film cameras
give you better image quality, and  I will take the crispness of a
photographic print over a glossy inkjet anyday.