filmscanners: Digital Shortcomings

So, are you planning on using a digital camera for your glamour photography?
Ouch!  I can't see how you'd be happy with the results compared to what wet
processing in a commercial lab can do for you.  Resolution is lousy and you
can't get the look and feel from it that wet film and paper will give.
That's very important when shooting people because everyone knows what good
skin tone looks like and, in my opinion, no digital process (even via
filmscanning) can match the quality and appeal of wet chemistry slides or
prints, especially with skin tones.  (Others may disagree with me, but that's
my story and I'm sticking to it.)  Digital has its place if you need speed
(news photographers) or want to do compositing in Photoshop, and filmscanning
is far superior to a digital camera if you can afford the extra step, but
digital in any form ought to be the choice of last resort, in my opinion.

If, on the other hand, you want to use a digital camera for proofing instead
of Polaroid film, then you may be on to something.  Polaroid film is awful
stuff for proofing (sorry Mr. Hemingway), so digital should be able to
compete with it very well.

So far as using your infrared strobe with the Nikon camera, if the camera has
a hot shoe or a PC connector (depending on what your IR strobe uses), then
you should be able to use the IR strobe on the camera with no problem.  Hot
shoes used to have a single contact right in the center, and the newer hot
shoes for dedicated strobes simply added some extra contacts around that
center contract.  So any old non-dedicated strobe should still work since it
uses only the center contact, but it would operate without some of the
automatic features of the dedicated strobes.  That assumes that the voltage
on the contacts of the non-dedicated strobe don't exceed the rating of the
camera.  And that's an issue since a lot of newer cameras can't handle more
that 12 volts or so and most older strobes, and most current studio strobes,
place over 100 volts on the strobe contacts.  So, if you fry some electronics
because of what I told you, remember that I told you not to use a digital
camera in the first place!

In a message dated 6/20/2001 10:01:43 AM Pacific Daylight Time,