RE: filmscanners: Magnification of light - AND brief density math lesson...

> Well, you tell me, then, why that negative we
> scanned took an hour or more.

The exposure was probably set to a very long time.  The scan time is
entirely deterministic...and that is the only explanation.  You are welcome
to come back and try it again.

> Sorry, this all flies in the face of what I
> thought I knew about scanners.  If you're
> going to throw away bits, throw away the LS bits,
> not the MS bits.

It's not bits that get thrown away, it's range.  The actual image data only
occupies a portion of the 16 bitrange.  According to the Leaf documentation,
increasing exposure time only increases DMax.  I'll copy the page for you if
you like.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.