RE: filmscanners: Magnification of light - AND brief density math lesson...

At 05:28 PM 6/19/01 -0400, Austin wrote:

[rafe b:]
>> On the film scanners I've used, when exposure needs to
>> be messed with at all, it's always a result of an
>> over- or underexposed image.
>
>Not with the Leaf.  They even go out of their way to say to scan at minimum
>exposure of 16ms for everything but chromes, and they say it gives a DRange
>of 3.3, and the only advantage of longer exposure is getting higher DRange
>of 3.7.  Of course, exposure time compensation may help for some
>circumstances.

Well, you tell me, then, why that negative we
scanned took an hour or more.

Sorry, this all flies in the face of what I
thought I knew about scanners.  If you're
going to throw away bits, throw away the LS bits,
not the MS bits.

That means getting the A/D input as close to
full-scale as you dare, without actually going over
the top.

And the only way I know of to do that is to either
adjust the front-end gain exactly right, or increase
the CCD exposure.

My preferred method of doing this is:

1. turn off all software (scanner driver) controls
   such as levels/curves.
2. adjust exposure to "center" the histogram
3. use software controls to widen the histogram
   to use, say, 95% of the available codes.
4. Do final tweaks in Photoshop

rafe b.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.