RE: filmscanners: RE: filmscanners: Scanner resolution (was: BWP seeks scanner)

> > I am sure the Nikon is substantially faster than the Leaf,
> since the Leaf
> > is
> > a three pass scanner, and the Nikon is one pass, but since the
> Leaf can do
> > B&W in one pass, and has a ND filter for scanning B&W, I
> believe it easily
> > holds its own with any other scanner for B&W work.
> >

> Why would you want to use the neutral density filter when scanning B&W?
> Would it not just decrease the light and require a longer scan time to get
> back to the same DMax?

I assume you mean from an intensity standpoint, as opposed to a wavelength
standpoint?  The CCD has a particular sensitivity range, and the ND filter
decreases the light to within that range.  Remember, the system is also
designed to scan color, and color filters go between the light source and
the film, so for B&W, the intensity has to be decreased to within the same
range as the color filters decrease it.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.