filmscanners: workflow

Following on from Tony's method here's mine - under a new topic as it has
nothing to do with Polaroid 120s. I don't think I'm too good at the actual
image processing side so I'm going to brush over a lot of that and describe
the overall workflow.

I am aiming to have scans of anything vaguely useful so first of all when I
receive my slides back from processing I do NOT open the box until I am
ready to scan the lot. I then batch scan everything (unless it is really
obviously bad) straight out of the box at 4000dpi 48bit portrait format with
Vuescan. This is before I really look at them - I know its hard - but its
the best way to beat the damn dust. Sadly it's too late for my older slides
and I just have to work round the dust/scratches and muck in other ways.

I tend to try and match the crop number from Vuescan to the slide number in
the box - it helps with cross referencing back to the originals. To do this
delete all the crop files in your Vuescan directory and if there is a slide
"0" scan it last and rename it "crop0000.tif". Where you have slides you do
not want to scan create a place marker file "crop00nn.tif" so that the
numbering keeps in line. Next delete the place markers and move the rest to
a new directory for this box of slides. If I'm starting with a box of
largely bad slides I just scan the OK ones and rename to get the right slide
number.

In order to minimise the dreadfully slow processing of 100MB TIFFs, I then
do a photoshop batch run through the whole lot reduce them to 600x400 8bit
and save them as a jpeg.

At this point I weed out and delete any rubbish.

Then I attempt to do overall colour balance (sometimes straighten horizons)
on the small jpegs (use record actions for later processing of the TIFF).
Sometimes if things are particularly problematic I will rescan the slide
with Vuescan or Silverfast and remake the jpeg. Once I'm happy with the jpeg
I despot the TIF and  perform the processing I did to the jpeg to the TIF.
Crop as required but ensure I don't crop something out that I later might
decide I want. For absolute favourite images (hopefully at least one in
every box) I save a 16bit copy for archive because one day I may figure out
how to process it properly.

I then try do something to minimise the film grain/CCD noise. The most
effective way to do this is to down sample but I am trying to avoid this as
it is really a one-way process and CD-Rs are pretty cheap. If in doubt I
stick with 4000dpi, but for higher speed film I usually down sample.

The next bit I am not too sure about, but until someone comes up with
something better or points out some really nasty side effect I quite like
it.

The main way I minimise the noise is with gaussian blur - below radius 0.9
the effect on sharpness is not too drastic. My favourite technique at the
moment is to use a 3 layers. The bottom layer I sharpen quite aggressively
ensuring the unsharp mask threshold is set high enough to avoid sharpening
the grain/noise - even a little over sharpening is good be bold (see later).
I tend to sharpen it twice once about 70% radius 1.4 - 1.8 threshold about
12 and then re-shapen it 100% using threshold 6 . The middle layer I
gaussian blur about 0.8. I then blend the lower 2 layers at around 40-60% to
get the desired result (some over sharpening is disguised here). The top
layer I leave as the original to compare before and after results. When I am
happy with the result delete the top layer and merge the bottom 2 to get a
sharper less grainy image.

Now I have an image I am "happy" with I save a TIFF and overwrite the jpeg
with a new small jpeg from the TIFF. The jpegs still help with locating
images quickly - I think one for web use would be a good idea. Group the
images into sets for burning to CD-R add a text file (not word KISS) index.
I burn 2 CDs (on two different brands) one copy I keep and one I send/take
to Mum (250 miles away).

>From my CDs I can produce images at required sizes relatively quickly.

I keep meaning to add a simple html viewer to quickly scan the contents of a
CD or more likely a directory to help locate images. I also quite like the
idea of a CD case sized thumbnail printout - but I haven't got round to this
either. Any offers/suggestions for these will be gratefully accepted.

Steve