Re: filmscanners: Sprintscan 120 and new negative proile scheme

> On Thu, 7 Jun 2001 00:23:25 -0400  Austin Franklin
> (darkroom@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
>
> > ...but film
> > characteristic profiling is different than the "specific
conditions" you
> > mentioned above, isn't it?
>
> Not for colour negs - the characteristics are annoyingly mutable,
> depending on exposure, processing etc.
>
> Regards
>
> Tony Sleep

Sorry Tony, but I don't agree with this.  Neg films vary primarily in
the mask layer.  Processing is standardized by manufacturers, and good
labs use the same technology to insure consistency with C-41 as they
do with E-6.  In my experience, neg film of one type is as consistent
as chrome film.  If you shoot under controlled conditions in the
studio and use a good lab for processing, you'll see this when you get
to the darkroom.  Exposure is another story, but the manufacturer or
lab can't be faulted for that.  But even here color negs vary less
than chrome films.

Dave King

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.