Re: filmscanners: CANON FS4000US vs NIKON IV ED

One effective solution for thoroughly cleaning slides that I use is to put them
in a small sonicator bath filled with degassed water, with a small beaker or
glass container filled with  isopropanol.  Place slide in beaker and sonicate
briefly.  I do  this in a well ventilated area.  Keep in mind that isopropanol
is flammable.  With a pair of fine forceps, remove slide, dip in a second
change of ie. isopropanol and remount in slide holder (I use a GEPE glass mount
from which I have removed the glass; slides sit acceptably flat). I use a
SS4000 scanner and get good results.

>>> "Steve Greenbank" <steve@gccl.fsbusiness.co.uk> 2001/06/09 1:37:45 AM >>>
I have the Artixscan 4000T (same as SS4000) and dust is a big problem. The
best solution is to put the film through the scanner before you do anything
else with it. I currently have a box of slides that I have had for over a
week and haven't even opened them because I want to take the lid off and
scan them before the dust arrives! Older slides are just covered in the
stuff - even if you have only taken them out of the box a couple of times.
Worst of all seem to be the ones that have been back to several labs for
re-printing - these just seem to pick up all sorts of muck.

If you look at the archive of this list you'll see all sorts of solutions
for dust removal before scanning. Ultimately you can expect to spend
5-10mins cloning out dust on an exceptionally clean slide. 2 hours is not
unknown for a bad example. I don't know how well ICE would cope with the
good or the bad examples, but I for one have better things to do.

Some people round here say it's good for the soul. I say it's a FPITA and it
can't be good for your eyes either.

Steve