RE: OT: Re: filmscanners: open and control

>Unfortunately, I'd have to drive 70 miles--and probably twice that--to buy
a roll of 120 film of any flavor, upping the
>price by 3 gallons of gas!

Unfortunately, unless you live in a big commercial metropolitan area, anyone
would have to drive a few miles to get to a retail outlet that carries 120
or 220 film, which is why most people order it via mail order or off the net
and have it sent to them at their locations.

>The 620 spool is 7/8" diameter. It takes fewer pictures that 120, which
means it would be smaller--by how much, I'm not >sure,

The spool size does not really impact on the size of the frames or the
number of pictures per roll.  It is the size of the camera's aperture which
determines the size and number of pictures that will fit on a given length
of film for the most part which why you can shoot 10 frames of 6cm x 7cm
images on a 120 roll, 12 frames of 6cm x 6 cm on a roll of 120, 15 frames of
6cm x 4.5 cm images on a roll of 120 film, or only 8 6cm x 9cm frames on the
120 roll.  Obviously the 6 cm dimension remains the constant.  Rolls of 220
film the same as 120 film but twice as long; they fit on the same spool as
120 film.  The difference is that unlike 120 film there is no paper backing
for the film only paper leader at both ends of the roll.  I believe that the
reason that you got fewer images on a 620 roll was that the film was thicker
which meant that there was not as much of it in a roll in terms of length.
As for the differences in diameters of the spools, I do not know what the
difference is myself since I do not have a spool handy at present; but any
difference in spool diameter was so as to enable it to hold the thicker film
in a more or less equivalent amount.  With respect to the difference in
camera backs for 620, 120, and 220, it has to do with the pressure plates
which hold the film flat with thinner film like 120 requiring more pressure
than 120 film because it does not have the extra thickness created by the
addition of backing paper.  I assume that the 620 required even less
pressure because of its added thickness of the film plus the additional
thickness created by its paper backing.  This, of course, could be a
drawback to using 120 film in a 620 camera but not as much as trying to use
220 film in that 620 camera since the differences in film thickness and
backing paper thickness are more or less negligible while the difference
between having and not having the paper backing is significant.