Re: filmscanners: Infrared scan

Rob writes ...

> I just tried scanning a slide and outputting a colour TIFF
> and an IR one. It was very educational.  Any sort of mark,
> scratch or dust spot is utterly black in the IR scan.
> Some of the image is also visible as is some of the grain,
> which probably explains why the image is softened by ICE.

    Exactly ... and the softening can be obvious with the Nikonscan
version of ICE.  Vuescan's algorithm, on the other hand, turned on
dust removal only in the region of what the IR image indicated as
total opacity (black).  I remember being amazed with Ed's algorithm in
the later versions of v.6 ... BUT, it seems to me someone complained
about Vuescan's "clean" function again softening in early versions of
v.7.  I believe Ed admitted as much and promised a fix.

    Ed?

shAf  :o)

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.