Re: filmscanners: CD RW Deal

Walter Bushell wrote:

> Given the propensity of scanners to make large files, eg, 35mm at 2700
> with VueScan at 64 bits 50 meg *each*. OTOH I've seen pre orders being
> taken for 24x writers.         thought this might be of interest here.
>
> at
>
> http://www.us.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=70002669
>
> TDK VeloCD 12x/10x/32x CD-RW EIDE for $119 shipped
>
> I'd jump on it but I bough a Samsung 12/10/32 yesterday for
> $85  + shipping.

These prices are getting downright silly!

Since the issue of CD-RW units came up, I'm wondering if anyone has
happened upon any info in regard to the life span of the write laser (or
other potentially "weak components" in these units.

A local computer chain here regularly supplies the info that these units
are lucky to last a couple hundred writes.  Of course, that's just
before they try to sell you their extended warranty, so I take this with
a huge grain of salt.  I was wondering if anyone has read any documented
info on the real life span of CD-RW drives, or if people have personal
experience as a basis.

I haven't burned a huge amount, so I'm a bad example (about 100-150 at
this point, including CDRW disks).

Of course at $89 US, who cares, but mine cost me nearly $400 CAN for a
8x drive, and I'd like to think it will at least amortize out at $1 a
disk for the burning part.

Art

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.