filmscanners: Filmscanner for 8x10" prints

I would like to get a $350-$450 scanner to make scans
of slides to produce 8x10" prints on either an Epson
870 or Canon S800 inkjet printer.

>From reading over past posts, my impressions are that
the Minolta Dual II gives slightly better scans than
the Acer Scanwit 2720S (when using Vuescan) but that
the Dual II has quality control problems--some people
love it while others are frustrated by it if they get
one that produces streaks across the scan.  Is this an
accurate and fair assessment?

At a maximum enlargement of 8x10" from 35mm slides,
would I be able to see differences between the Dual II
vs the Scanwit in my prints?

Any other recommendations?  Thanks.