Re: filmscanners: LS4000 reboot problem

I don't know if you have already dealt with this problem, but ...

There is a Win 98/98SE problem where the disk caching locks up the system if
you have more than 512MB of physical RAM. There's an article in the
Microsoft Knowledge database somewhere.
Their workarounds are if memory serves correct:

1) Use msconfig to set the machines maximum memory to 512MB in Windows.
Quite a dumb solution if you ask me.
2) FIRST MAKE A BACKUP COPY OF "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM.INI" file then Edit
C:\windows\system.ini and set a maximum file cache to less than 512MB - I'd
suggest something around the size of 16bit 4000dpi filescan which is approx
108MB. So in the file "system.ini" look for the section marked [vcache] add
the following line for 108MB :

MaxFileCache=110592

This will leave your system.ini file looking like this:

[vcache]
MaxFileCache=110592

The value after "MaxFileCache="  is 1024*n (where n is the number of MB you
wish to use as cache).

Regards

Steve

P.S. Anyone running with limited memory (less than approx 3x scan_size) you
may wish to try setting MaxFileCache to quite a low value (16384 or 8192,
perhaps). This will leave more memory to your photo-editting application
which may help it to run more smoothly, unfortuantely it will also slow
reading and saving large files. It depends what you find most inconvenient.

Right now I'd say memory is cheap (IMHO) and if your machine can take it,
and you have the money, buy some more.