filmscanners: Re: Ektachrome E100VS bad?

At 12:41 PM -0500 5/22/01, Joel Wilcox wrote:
>I use this film in addition to Provia F and Velvia. I prefer Velvia
>for landscape.  The E100VS can be a little OTT in really warm light,
>but it is often very good in flat light that can make Provia F look
>dull.  I guess I tend to use it as a little bit faster counterpart
>to Velvia.  I frequently use it when I want to handhold shots,
>whereas the Velvia stays on the tripod.  Provia F is a little more
>versatile in recording beautiful light well but also being not bad
>for the occasional "people shot."  In cold light greens can look
>awfully bluish for my taste.

        Thanks, Kevin and Joel. I'm sure it has to be a good film - I
have three more rolls to try of my "Trial Version", so I'll know
better soon.
        I agree about Provia F greens being bluish in cold light. I
actually prefer the colour of lowly Elite Chrome 100 under those
conditions. I never liked Velvia all that much, except in really flat
light, but I have seen some great results from it.

At 10:48 AM -0500 5/22/01, Lloyd O'Daniel wrote:
>The problem you describe sounds like retained silver. I have recently
>processed a lot of both E100VS and Provia 100F in Kodak Single-use E6 with
>no problems. Perhaps you got a bad batch of bleach or maybe had a mixing
>error?

        Thanks, Lloyd, I would have thought that too, except the
Provia 100F in the same tank was great. Do you find the new bleach
different from the old? It's certainly lighter in colour. I will be
remixing for the next batch, so we'll see what happens.
        Thanks also for the processing tips. I'm not sure I can use
all of them in my simple two-reel tank process, but some of them may
be helpful. I felt the old 1-gallon kits were better, somehow,
certainly a lot easier to mix in smaller volumes and I never had
these odd problems with them. Any idea why Kodak changed them? I've
been using E6 since 1977 (or whenever it came out), and there heve
been a few changes over the years.

Regards,
Roger Smith

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.