Re: filmscanners: OK, Vuescan is driving me nuts

On Sun, 20 May 2001 17:42:24 -0400 (EDT)  Lynn Allen (lalle@email.com)
wrote:

> The first thing I do after inverting a raw neg scan in Photoshop(which
> you
> can actually do in Vuescan, but not in MiraPhoto) is to click on Auto
> Levels, then I'll try the Variations, and tweak the result with Color
> Corection. This works about 90% of the time. If not, then I have to get
> serious with curves and intensities &such, which are sometimes a little
> ticklish for me.

Auto-levels often has no impact on VS 16bit images, if you have used
'white balance' and appropriate colour/contrast settings and white point
(VS default clips way too much for me, I set 0.01).

A neat way to set levels and achieve colour correction at the same time
in PS, is to do levels manually, as follows.
- First adjust the shadow end. I usually do this simply by moving the
slider to clip the histogram a little so blacks are solid.
- Then double-click on the highlight eyedropper and set the tone and
colour which you think a highlight area should be (easiest if you pick an
area which should be a neutral grey, but not always practical). Sample the
intended area with the dropper, and you should find everything comes more
or less right. Because of pixel variations, you may need to sample a few
points before you get the optimum result.
- You can repeat with the midtone dropper, but usually the slider is
better
- Use colour correction to do any final tweaks to colour balance, as the
foregoing should have linearised colour inaccuracies.

Regards

Tony Sleep
http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner
info & comparisons