Re: filmscanners: OT: photographing on the street

on 5/20/01 6:19 PM, Lynn Allen at lalle@email.com wrote:

>> Does US law really provide for someone to sue for invasion of privacy?
> I've never heard of that. I would like to know more if it is true.
>
> OK, True Story; this happend in the late 50's: A Greyhound excursion bus
> tour (50's version of Princess Cruises), photographer's assignment is to
> photograph happy people enjoying themselves on the excursion.
> One photo shows a happy, smiling couple obviously enjoying the trip, and the
> company uses it in a *small* brochure. The couple's spouses, who were *not*
> on the trip, are less than thrilled.
> Divorce. Lawsuit. Greyhound settles out of court. Art Director is fired (I
> get his job).

Okay but that's not invasion of privacy in the sense of the French law or
touted UK law (it won't happen). That's just non-released commercial usage.
As far as I am aware there's no invasion of privacy statute in US law.

--
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.