RE: filmscanners: What causes this ... projection

>I said this in the original reply "I hadn't considered this and nor did I
>fetch my screen when I tried the
>slides tonight. But I can see that how this would work."

>I didn't try the screen test as I would probably of woken my son extracting
>it from his bedroom.

I understand and that is ok.  Yes, I do no know that you said this and was
willing to let it go at that.

>I felt that the test onto the paper would also show
>more clearly what the scanner sees.

I am afraid that I do not see the logic of this.  I do not see how the
projection of a slide onto smooth paper would simulate a scan; I can see the
point of comparing the projection onto smooth paper versus the projection
onto a projection screen.  I think you may be making a number of unwarranted
assumptions.

>But my feeling is: a textured surface helps mask the grain as the minor
dark
>spots will have lighter spots reflected from the pits to mask the effect.
>The grain being darker will reflect less so the converse effect will be
less
>pronounced. This will lead to a reduction in randomly distributed darker
>spots.

I think your reasoning on this is logical and acceptable.