Re: filmscanners: What causes this and is there any easy solution ?

As mentioned in a previous message the projector does display the grain, but
there is so little in Velvia that at 40x60 you still have to look hard and
get within 16 inches to see it. Some slides like early Fujichrome 400 the
grain is obvious from 15 feet.

The projector is a relic made entirely of steel and cast iron! It's probably
worth many times it's original purchase value. It was quite old when it was
given to my Dad. He had it for around 20 years before I appropriated it by
stealth, as a poor student, 20 years ago.

It was made by Aldis.

The lens is an Aldis Star Anastigmat 100mm.

I have never thought it was stunning, but it was better than the modern
alternatives I have seen. The one thing that did worry me was it runs
extremely hot (you can only touch the body for a brief moment before
burning). But the slide carrier and the lens are on steel rails that allow
you to move the slide about an inch from the body and in this position the
slides only get slightly warm and I certainly don't see the slide adjust
focus as the film bends in the heat- something that I have seen quite often
on modern projectors.

Steve

PS Can anyone date the projector ? It has a gun metal finish.